the "advanced" guide for translators

Bert
Administrator
At this moment it's still an idea, nothing has been written yet.

I like L18L's proposal to start collecting subjects:

"Maybe some words what will be the topics in "Advanced Guide": Menu, Desktop, READMEs, .... ?"

If you have ideas, please post them here.

Re: the "advanced" guide for translators

Bert
Administrator
Three more possible subjects, coming from the L18L headquarters :
  • Howto translate README text files?
  • Howto translate doc texts?
  • Howto use dialects (regional variants, e.g. fr_CA)
Earlier xanad proposed several ideas, that I think belong here:

Re: the "advanced" guide for translators

Bert
Administrator
My personal subjects...for today:
  • how to "post-process" the langpack Momanager is about to build: what to add +how
  • how to get $HOME (= often /root) translated? ("Downloads", "Documents", etc), like ALL distro's do it!
  • how to add a personal message for your language users.
  • how to drink less coffee while translating...no, that doesn't belong here

Re: the "advanced" guide for translators

L18L
Bert wrote
how to get $HOME (= often /root) translated? ("Downloads", "Documents", etc), like ALL distro's do it!
how to add a personal message for your language users.
how to "post-process" the langpack Momanager is about to build: what to add +how
how to drink less coffee while translating...no, that doesn't belong here
My personal contribution for your personal subjects for today:

Never translate $HOME which is a variable, the word starting with a $
Adding a personal message might be part of next item
adding to post-process is add to langpack-template.  Is "advanced".

Drink tea (or water or  ).

Re: the "advanced" guide for translators

xanad

Re: the "advanced" guide for translators

Bert
Administrator
L18L wrote
Bert wrote
how to get $HOME (= often /root) translated? ("Downloads", "Documents", etc), like ALL distro's do it!
My personal contribution for your personal subjects for today:
Never translate $HOME which is a variable, the word starting with a $
 Hi L18L,

I should have explained more accurately: It's not the variable $HOME I would like to translate, but its content, the directories "Documents", "Downloads", etc.
Those should be translatable, no?

Re: the "advanced" guide for translators

Bert
Administrator
Interesting!
The first one needs python ...

Testing both would be great for those with the necessary skills.
Thanks xanad.