fd64-nls : a helpful source of .mo files

fd64-nls : a helpful source of .mo files

Bert
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I'm very happy L18L joined the team today. That reminded me to post about fd64-nls, which I kept forgetting. fd64-nls is part of the FatDog internationalisation system. In FatDog all languages are in one fat sfs: 63MB of goodness...not just a couple of languages, 181 of them! How to use it?
  1. Download fd64-nls
  2. Click the sfs
  3. Choose "View contents"
  4. Navigate to /usr/share/locale
  5. Find the language you're interested in
  6. Copy (drag) it to a folder on your system
  7. Copy or move the .mo files to /usr/share/locale/"your-language-code"/LC_MESSAGES
  8. Click the fd64-nls.sfs again to unmount it
  9. Ready!

Re: fd64-nls : jumpstarting a new translation project

L18L
This post was updated on .
Some notes about fd64-nls

Now actual link is http://ftp.nluug.nl/ibiblio/distributions/fatdog/sfs/700/fd64-nls_700.sfs (without rc=release candidate)

Fatdog does not care about old versions, thus 700 only is relevant at the moment.

The 64 is  in fd is sort of a misnomer: there is nothing about 64-bit in a nls (Native  Language support) package.

My recommendation: Add these .mo files at the end of your work.
What makes puppy „bark in your language“ is a lot of different small .mo files for Puppy‘s special scripts and the translated menu items.
This is part 1 of your work: translate shell scripts.
Part 2: Translate Items  for menu and menu categories
.
. (Doc is a problem of its own)
.

Last part of your work: translate executable apps

Writing this I see that this is just the order in which they are in momanager!

Very last part: Add mo files selected from this fd64-nls.sfs (thus you do not need to find them „on the web“ ).

Creating a langpack  without that „very last step“ should result in a langpack small enough to be posted in the forum. (There is a size limit of 256kB)

@Bert, maybe now it is not jumpstarting  but the jump for finishing?

---
EDIT
link fixed

Re: fd64-nls : a helpful source of .mo files

Bert
Administrator
Link updated, title changed ;)

Re: fd64-nls : a helpful source of .mo files

xanad
All links are down...

Re: fd64-nls : a helpful source of .mo files

L18L
xanad wrote
All links are down...
Thanks
fixed....

Re: fd64-nls : a helpful source of .mo files

Bert
Administrator
xanad wrote
All links are down...