Translators translate....

Bert
Administrator
If the title of this post sounds stupid, it is!

I'm trying to say: we're about translating and nothing else.
Some of the people in this team are multi-talented: programmer/coder/developer AND translator.

So it's only natural their knowledge influences this forum.
But...
we here are translators.
In a way the sub-forum "Gettexting" should not be here. Gettexting is not part of what translators do, it's the job of developers.(once they've seen the light )

Translators shouldn't have to care about subjects like gettext, woof-Ce, Git, databases,  etc,... For a translator these are just distractions.

As all of you know, a good translation starts with being able to concentrate on the words and sentences in a relaxed, unhindered way.
There's a joy in that.
Let's not destroy that joy with unnecessary complications.

Re: Translators translate....

L18L
Yes translators translate.

Forgive me, if this is derailing this thread.
But I do have an urgent desire:

I want to know what Puppy translators thinkk about the question:
Must a flag of country be used to indicate a language?

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=97897&start=513

How is it in Belgium?
Do they they raise German flag when talking German language?
Do they they raise Dutch flag when talking Dutch language?
Do they they raise French flag when talking French language?

Follow the links at http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=97897&start=513 .

and post some answer at http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=97897&start=513 please.

Thanks in advance

Re: Translators translate....

Bert
Administrator
Hi L18L,

I understand your concern. (I think...)
But in the current situation Puppy/Quirky/Fatdog are in, we simply do not have that many translations that are geographically accurate.

We have German, but not Austrian, Swiss, Belgian German.
We have English, but not en_US, en_AU, not even en_GB...
We have Portuguese, but not pt_BR.
We do not have a fr_CA translation.
We have a Russian translation, made in Ukraine...

So for the moment, flags would work.
A New-Zealander will click the English flag and find that a natural decision...
But I agree, this is not future-proofing.

Don't get me started on the situation in Belgium.

Re: Translators translate....

L18L
Hi Bert,
thank you for your input at murga forum.
Made  me think and surf, and write this:

It does not matter where the translation has been  made
and Russian is one of the official languages for Ukraine, I think.

Does it hurt to see a flag when trying to setup the language?
Don't ask me.
Ask some British, Irish, Tibetian, Chinese, Eritrean, Yemen... people.

Does anyone need a flag for a language?
Yes, the illiterates do need it. Why?
Not to get on the wrong side in the battle.

Bert wrote
So for the moment, flags would work.
And "no flag" would work (even better).

BFN