Roadmap 2015

Locked 16 messages Options

Roadmap 2015

Bert
Administrator

Happy New Year to All!

I propose to use this thread for collecting all ideas we have of things we would like to achieve as a team and then see what can be done this year...

Re: Roadmap 2015

Bert
Administrator

Some very unorderly hairball notes to get this rolling.
Please add any idea(s) below.
Let's make a long list,
we can cherrypick the things that feel right and realistic once we have a list.
  1. A space of exchange for translators and gettextizers -- started, this forum
  2. A guide for (beginning) translators -- started
  3. A central place for ALL sources translators need
  4. To use Github (or not)? (and why or why not)
  5. Put all our i18n documentation and info on puppylinux.org? (If Raffy agrees)
  6. Or on the Wikka Wiki? (Or somewhere else?)
  7. Language choice as first choice in booting a new Puppy (+ how)
  8. and related: L18L's QuickSetup
  9. Automating download and install of langpacks
  10. One langpack per language, covering all Puppies and puplets
  11. Langpack quality control: revision, correction, betatesters
  12. Can we learn from FatDog i18n?
  13. How to convince devs to include the needed gettext stuff in their pup ( <-->now in Devx)
  14. How to help new translators, to prevent them from giving up during the first (and most difficult) weeks.
  15. Langpacks as rolling releases, would that be possible/useful?
  16. Where to send langpacks to, now and in future?
  17. related: the green message box at the end of Momanager needs editing (now: 'send to me, BarryK')
  18. Some devs find i18n makes Puppy slower and more buggy. Can we do anything to improve things?
  19. Woof-CE and translators?
  20. A gettexting course for dummies
  21. Backticks and eval_gettext become totally forbidden (~ joke)
  22. Creating an easily found and attractive web presence for the translators team
  23. A script detecting all non-gettexted scripts and binaries in a new puppy release
  24. and ideally replacing them with gettexted ones in one go...

Re: Roadmap 2015

xanad
They are all interesting topics. For simplicity, I think we should choose on which distro operate. Woofce guess is good for everyone? First step is where to start. We should decide this before. Who is in favor of starting with woofce?

Re: Roadmap 2015

Bert
Administrator
xanad wrote
They are all interesting topics. For simplicity, I think we should choose on which distro operate. Woofce guess is good for everyone? First step is where to start. We should decide this before. Who is in favor of starting with woofce?
Thanks xanad,

Starting with Woof-CE sounds like a good idea to me.
I'm just a barefoot translator...I know what Woof-CE is, but I lack the understanding how we translators can fit into Woof-CE. Is it simply a matter of uploading our langpacks to Woof-CE? Who decides what goes into it?

In my list above, I wrote: "Woof-CE and translators?" hoping to get some discussion about this and to finally get a simple "HowTo". (don't forget, I have to explain all this to Ernie too )

Let's create a Woof-CE topic !

Re: Roadmap 2015

L18L
Picked cherry number 14:
Bert wrote
<ol>
<li>How to help new translators, to prevent them from giving up during the first (and most difficult) weeks.
</ol>
@ "new" translators: Just post your problems if any here please.
Def: problem is if you do NOT know how to proceed.  Else it is "just work".

Re: Roadmap 2015

L18L
This post was updated on .
Bert wrote

Some very unorderly hairball notes to get this rolling.
Please add any idea(s) below.
Let's make a long list,
we can cherrypick the things that feel right and realistic once we have a list.
My addition to this open list:
  • Howto translate README text files?
  • Howto translate doc texts?
  • Howto use dialects (regional variants, e.g. fr_CA)
  • Howto honour devs who internationalize (make it translatable) their software
  • Does the Puppy Translators Team also translate Quirky and Fatdog which are NO Puppies?
Hoping for other additions soon. --- EDIT Is this raw text or what _________ EDIT "Message is in HTML Format" ticked now, was unticked before.

Re: Roadmap 2015

Bert
Administrator
Hi L18L, Nabble is a bit peculiar... if you want to use code in your message, you have to tick "Message is in html", just above the box where you write your message. I did that here and this is the result:
  • Howto translate README text files?
  • Howto translate doc texts?
  • Howto use dialects (regional variants, e.g. fr_CA)
  • Howto honour devs who internationalize (make it translatable) their software
  • Does the Puppy Translators Team also translate Quirky and Fatdog which are NO Puppies?
Hope that helps

Re: Roadmap 2015

L18L
Bert wrote
Hope that helps
Yes, that has helped. Thank you.

But I do not want that "very long line".
Can you help again?

Back to topic:
You have cut these 29 items  down to 3 items in murga forum.
Well done.

Re: Roadmap 2015

Bert
Administrator
L18L wrote
Bert wrote
Hope that helps
Yes, that has helped. Thank you.

But I do not want that "very long line".
Can you help again?
I'm sorry, i don't understand what you mean by "that very long line".

L18L wrote
Back to topic:
You have cut these 29 items  down to 3 items in murga forum.
Well done.
I shortened that now stickied announcement as much as I could, trying not to loose the essence of what our team is about. But again, it can certainly be improved. And perhaps it should be, as it will now probably be the very first contact for new translators.

Thanks for your additions to the list!

I think the first three items in your list would be perfect subjects for the "advanced guide". Would you agree if I copy them to the "advanced guide" thread?

item 4: "How to honour devs who internationalize (make it translatable) their software"
That would make a very necessary discussion subject. It could be widened to "How do we set up a more cooperative relation with the devs?" I've been thinking a lot about this. Almost posted an announcement on their Nabble Woof-CE forum, but it was too early,.. I was lacking the necessary "fun powder" (more powerful than gun powder....)

item 5: "Does the Puppy Translators Team also translate Quirky and Fatdog which are NO Puppies?

Excellent question! It will appeal to those of us who have 36 hours in a day
My personal idea is yes. If it smells like a dog, it is a dog. Both Quirky and FatDog are born from exactly the same philosophy as Puppy. And in many ways could be called improvements. (or evolutions that better reply to the evolving hardware in this second decade of the 2000 millenium.)

My dream as a lazy person would be to have one langpack covering anything canine...

Re: Roadmap 2015

L18L
Bert wrote
L18L wrote
Bert wrote
Hope that helps
Yes, that has helped. Thank you.

But I do not want that "very long line".
Can you help again?
I'm sorry, i don't understand what you mean by "that very long line".
I should have had a better explanation.
Now I know it is not a problem of the forum software
it was my problem to have the browser opened very wide and the text became a "very long line".
But the text is wrapping and the problem is not a problem anymore.

Old dogs need some time to get used with "new" software.

Re: Roadmap 2015

L18L
Bert wrote
I think the first three items in your list would be perfect subjects for the "advanced guide". Would you agree if I copy them to the "advanced guide" thread?
Agreed, this here is just a roamap.

Bert wrote
My dream as a lazy person would be to have one langpack covering anything canine...
Quirky is in most cases just the word "Quirky" instead of "Puppy".
Home page is different.
Big bonus: PupyMaster is also "QuirkyMaster".

Fatdog is different.
Very different. Users (and translator) would need a 64bit computer.
There are no langpacks and no PETs at all.
Big bonus: Fatdog does already have all available translation in one NLS.sfs file..
Most of the fatdog specific stuff is in one fatdog.mo file.

But that is already stuff for another thread.

"Anything canine" sounds interesting.  Maybe also in that "stickied announcement"?

Re: Roadmap 2015

xanad
-- item 4: "How to honour devs who internationalize (make it translatable) their software"
>> item 4-bis:  "How to honour translators who internationalize (make it translatable) (NOT) their software (devs)"

-- That would make a very necessary discussion subject. It could be widened to "How do we set up a more cooperative relation with the devs?" I've been thinking a lot about this. Almost posted an announcement on their Nabble Woof-CE forum, but it was too early,.. I was lacking the necessary "fun powder" (more powerful than gun powder....)

>> A friend argues that the luck of windows and ubuntu is given by the diffusion of distros and software already localized. A distro or software without localization will not be published. I think he's right.
It would be another utopia that devs pass before us before publishing ...

Re: Roadmap 2015

L18L
xanad wrote
>> A friend argues that the luck of windows and ubuntu is given by the diffusion of distros and software already localized. A distro or software without localization will not be published. I think he's right.
I also think he's right.

But Puppy is different.
Every user can publish his puplet or derivate.

Re: Roadmap 2015

xanad
L18L wrote
xanad wrote
>> A friend argues that the luck of windows and ubuntu is given by the diffusion of distros and software already localized. A distro or software without localization will not be published. I think he's right.
I also think he's right.

But Puppy is different.
Every user can publish his puplet or derivate.
Yes, I know, and one of the sides of beautiful puppy, but fortunately some devs start to do it, perhaps the list could be added also a warning to the devs to use our resource. If it becomes a habit, everything would be easier. Especially for users. How did Argolance, we answered all, it's easy...

Re: Roadmap 2015

Bert
Administrator
xanad wrote
Yes, I know, and one of the sides of beautiful puppy, but fortunately some devs start to do it, perhaps the list could be added also a warning to the devs to use our resource. If it becomes a habit, everything would be easier. Especially for users. How did Argolance, we answered all, it's easy...
Agreed. But "everything would become easier"? Yes for us translators, but not necessarily for devs.

I don't think a "warning" is a good idea. "Warming" would be better: warming up to the idea that they can reach the whole world outside of what once was the commonwealth...

Re: Roadmap 2015

Bert
Administrator
I made a mental note in January to close this thread on March 31 2015...to leave enough of 2015 to accomplish as much as possible.

So here we are, April the fourth. I hereby declare this thread closed.
We've had three participants in this roadmap thread, but 172 views....

It's time to make up our minds about what we'll do from now till New Year.
Please start a new topic if you want to help develop an improvement for Puppy internationalization.
Either one of the ideas in this thread or your own new idea.